I’m going to apologize right from the start for this post. It’s something we have been over many times before. Even as recently as a few days ago, this blog and others have commented on this issue. I’ve given up on trying to educate the PSAs, so I’m just going to use it as an extension of Point and Laugh Friday. It seems a few of you have gone over to their Facebook page to try to educate them. While that is very admirable, you are in violation of one of the cardinal rules of Dunce Club. Thou shalt not speak the truth….EVER. I’m not even going to even say this is the last time I’m going to talk about this subject, because we all know that would be a lie. I can’t resist a good tarding. I’m going to wrap my helmet in tinfoil and revisit the dreaded Bute topic yet again….
“Ok one more time we know. we get it Bute is not supposed to be in the meat. But that don’t stop slaughter. Especially when a withdrawal date is figured out or a test can be implemented to figure out which horses are not bute free. How many times do you need this explained to you? You seem to be the only one who can’t understand this simple logic.”
– You know, I’m not even going to pretend to be a little bit nice or politically correct anymore. The only `withdrawl’ this functional asstard should be concerned with is what his/her sire should have done and spared us all the grief of having these arguments over and over again. Also, the only `simple’ thing I see is the person that made the above post. What part of you cannot economically test a live animal for residue is so hard to understand? It’s not about what is in the blood stream, it’s about what is in the tissues. In this case it is likely to be carcinogens. Carcinogens are bad news. I can’t put it any simpler than that. BTW I am making a citizen’s grammar police arrest on this person….
“Phenylbutazone has a withdrawal of MAXIMUM 72 hours. (48 is the norm, but we count 72 to be safe) it is a PAINKILLER/ANTIINFLAMITORY.
Clenbuterol has a withdrawal of 14 days (maximum) It antagonizes tha effects of prostaglandin f2 and oxytocin, with bronchodilator. (helps expand airways)
2 completely different drugs. Both have been tested regarding withdrawal periods many times, as they are actively used (within regulations-as per animal rights groups) in the performance horse industries.
Feedlot quarantines seem like it would be a perfect solution, granted that they have funding to feed the quarantined animals…not a bad idea.”
– God help me!!!!!!! Make it stop!!!!!!!!
“Then my thinking is that we treat this as we treat dairy cattle and milk production.
Oxytocin is banned from use in dairy cattle…do you think famers still use it? Heck yes they do! But their milk gets tested before it is shipped to the big house. And if the test strip reveals any use of drugs and/or water in the milk, the milk is drained out of the tank and all over the famer’s yard, and the money lost comes out of his pocket.
They need similar testing in meat products. The cattle industry is much more strict. It will get better. They just need to put better testing and agents in place…all a work in progress…”
– I’m going to be honest. I don’t have a clue what dairy producers do or do not use. I do know that simple logic (their term) tells me that a fluid and a tissue are two very different things. I also know that oxytocin is naturally produced in the pituitary gland and allows milk to be let down. Yes, I realize you can give an oxytocin shot as well, but it is not nearly the same as a drug like Bute. It is not a drug nor is it a carcinogen. It will leave the system. I’m sure some of my readers can speak far more intelligently on this than me, but for now we’ll just all realize it’s apples and oranges.
“I find it amusing you are trying to say that “there is no withdrawal date” when in most other animals it’s out of the system in 72 hours. On the other hand I find it hilarious that you think some how a horse is sooooo different to a cow in how it cleanses itself of Bute.”
– I’m not amused at all at this point. Bute is banned in cattle too. Why is this person so stupid and why are they allowed internet access without supervision? Please send me a picture of this person so I can begin my campaign to bring back mandatory sterilization for idiots and use them as our poster child.
” lol, I realize that the FDA has nothing to do with animal rights, thank you for the clarification. My point was that OUR regulations in the performance horse industry, were put in place to protect OUR industry from animal rights activists.
I got my information from Dr. Jerry Black, DVM who administers drug testing in performance horses. They have tests available that can trace back drugs to almost 2 years prior to test-date, and which drugs have been administered that do not leave residue. A man VERY informed on withdrawals for those 2 specific drugs
-Drug testing in performance horses was put in to weed out cheaters and to stop the inhumane treatment of horses in the name of making money for their asswipe connections. Anytime money and horses collide the way they are treated clearly needs legislation to protect them from assholes. If she wants to give AR people credit for that, whatever. The fact is it was and is still needed and if you think I’m mistaken, take a look at the Big Lick TN Walkers.
“shes’s gone XXXXX hate to have to do it but when folks start outright lying I’m not leaving that on. But I never thought of this XXXX. The horse racing world has been battling the use of bute in the preforming horses for as long as I can remember. They are probably light years ahead of the withdrawal date of bute in Horses.”
– Actually what the race industry mostly up in arms about is lasix. Again, we test for withdrawal times for the drugs to leave the blood stream and not be `active’ in the horse. Bute is an NSAID and it can be unsafe to run a horse under the effects of that. Just because a horse can produce a clean urine test after a race does not mean that there is no Bute in their system. There is an acceptable level for performance and an acceptable withdrawal time based on the average time for an animal to metabolize it. The race industry is only concerned with performance level and have never looked into what residues are left in tissues.
“They absolutely are. And it certainly does leave the system. I am not about to write a book on how I discovered the exact withdrawal date on bute, because I personally have not don’t the research myself. But testing has shown that no residue appears after 72 hours. As for the clenbuterol, I showed the exact documents breaking down (hourly) how it leaves the system.”
– WRONG!!!!!! There is an allowable threshold for Bute in the system for racehorses. WTF is so hard about that for these asstards to understand??? (http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=697064)
“Well I don’t make a living from horse slaughter, so you would be incorrect there.
And I don’t believe the COUNTRY should be held responsible, I think the country needs to make the SLAUGHTERHOUSE responsible. Otherwise Canada will constantly have horses being slaughtered at the hands of people who just don’t care, which would be a sad waste.
Yes, kill buyers DO troll ads looking for fat free horses, that is correct. There are horrible people out there…now let’s talk about the other end of the spectrum…
The people Getting rid of those free (and fat, or otherwise) horses…suppose nobody takes them. Then what? They get sent to an auction perhaps? Then they may get bought…and what if they don’t? Have you ever seen someone take their horse to an auction and then leave it there when no one buys it? I know I have.
There are terrible people on both sides…the owners AND the buyers. And there IS a surplus, or there would be no sanctuaries or horse rescues BEGGING people to take horses home out of their overflowing barn.
I will not deny that their are production farms. But is it illegal? Apparently not! Maybe that is your argument? In which case, why are you arguing that in a post about bute?”
– Call me crazy, but why would I think that anybody that runs a slaughter-house cares a whole bunch about the animals they are slaughtering other than how much money they can make off them? Also, why do Canadians care less about horses than Americans that want to slaughter them? Hell, most of the UH gets behind a nutbar like Crazyass King that supports dogfighting, veal crates, foie gras, tail docking and countless other blatantly cruel practices and these are confederate flag waving AMERICANS.
I’m sure we’ll have to revisit this same topic about eleventy billion more times before next week. The only thing these PSAs are proving is how profoundly stupid they are. I guess we shouldn’t even worry about it. Thankfully the powers that be do understand the difference between withdrawal times and banned. I need to take my own advice and just let them keep having this conversation, but I am constantly amazed that there is a group of such stupid people and they are all so evil. I realize that fifth grade was the best five years of these people’s lives, but do they really need to inflict their stupidity on the general public? They are exactly the reason we need so many laws in place about how animals are treated….My head hurts 😦