Seriously, I am learning so much thanks to our PSAs. Today I learned that people are pro slaughter because they know what they’re doing unlike the rest of us that think it’s reprehensible to slaughter a horse. In my ongoing research into the mysterious `bad’ horses that they keep talking about I found out that the reason the rest of us have horses we enjoy is because they,the PSAs, know what they’re doing. Don’t believe me? Behold these pearls of wisdom:
“I was reading something on another chat last night. Someone wanted to know WHY “pro slaughter” people have a higher rate of knowing horses that have issues; mental and/or physical. I think it boils down to this: Pro slaughter folks generally do not see their horses as pets. We see them as livestock. We’ve handled MORE horses than the average “pet horse” person. We’ve probably “rescued” more horses than a “pet horse” owner and some of us have even bred (obviously) more horses than a “pet horse” owner. So, next time you’re staring at your pet horses wondering WHY our horses have an issue, think about why you chose that horse in your backyard —- because he didn’t have an issue, or was trained or fixed by someone that knows what they are doing.”
– Oh no, she did NOT just say that…..Who knew? Who knew that one person could be THAT delusional? Sadly, this person is not alone. It seems this is not an uncommon stance for slaughterphiles to take.
“And don’t you think “pro slaughter” might be more knowledgable about “noticing” mental/physical issues. Not saying pet owners are less educated or dumber than the pro slaughter people, but pro industry horse people are just more knowledgible in the horse industry. But as I’m typing this, I find myself not liking grouping pet owners as anti slaughter because I would have to categorize myself more of a pet owner than a pro industry horse person, and I am pro slaughter. Feel like I’m not making any sense here!”
– Oh! That clears up a bunch. The rest of us just don’t `notice’ our horses are bad or crippled and live in a rainbow bubble of delusion! Maybe that’s why they are pro slaughter….they see things that are wrong with horses that escapes the rest of us.
“THIS is the time to put new slaughter plants to work with the recommendations set by Temple Grandin. The slaughter process is quite humane but she had suggestions to make some plants less stressful. The one video i’ve seen that was a US slaughter plant showed horses coming in one at a time, quietly, no stress, and shot once. It was swift and instantaneous.”
– Does anybody have a link to this video? Because the ones I have seen have all been horrific.
“Speaking for myself, because I don’t want to assume others feel the same, I consider my horses pets, even some of our cows as pets, but also realize they are livestock. However, I would not send my own horses to slaughter but would have them put down, if necessary. But I agree for the need for slaughter, just not for my own horses. The point being I can still love my horses and be pro slaughter at same time.”
– This may be the one common statements PSAs make that pisses me off the most . If slaughter is so `humane’, then why isn’t it good enough for their horses? Do they think that just because they don’t own the horses at slaughter they suffer any less? Asswads!!!
“In a healthy market most of the horses who end up in slaughter houses ARE the rank ones; and the lame and the spoiled rotten pasture pets etc. In this market, anything in the bottom tier that isn’t marketable will go to slaughter even if it’s not lame or rank or spoiled.
The slaughter house is necessary to filter out those horses because let’s face it, they will ALWAYS be there. In a healthy market, the vast majority of the horses there should be there. In this market, good horses end up on a plate. If we had US slaughter houses two things would happen: the horse population would eventually stabilize and recover and there would be more jobs, even if only on a small scale.”
– I know we’ve been over this about a million times, but why can’t these people pull their head out of their asses. Good horses went to slaughter prior to 2007 and will continue to go until we shut it down completely. Opening slaughterhouses would create MORE of a problem because it gives these morons a convenient disposal option for their messes. If we had US slaughter, backyard breeders would go back in business in a huge way and dead horses don’t create all that many jobs….
“When those of you that oppose humane horse slaughter are able to feed, medicate, treat, and facilitate all of the unwanted, ill, and injured horses, please let those of us that support it know so we can help you begin your quest to provide them such a happy existence. Until then, please help us keep these poor animals out of the horrific and gruesome out of country slaughterhouses you have sent them to.”
– I think there are more of us anti people trying to clean up this mess than anybody else. Do you know what I contribute to the slaughter pipeline? ZERO. If every self-professed horse lover did the same, there would never be an unwanted horse. Guess what? The slaughter houses in Canada are not one bit different from the ones that Slaughterhouse Sue wants to open and, depending on where you live, may still be a shorter haul.
“I do not support horse slaughter, I support highly regulated, inspected, and HUMANE horse slaughter. Now it’s time to try to put all differences and opinions aside and do what is ultimately best for unwanted, ill, and injured horses. Right now there is nobody with the funds or any other means that is willing to take care of all of them, especially in the current economy and drought.”
– Awesome! I support fairies and leprechauns! I really want to know how these people think any of this will happen with the budget cuts or why taxpayers are going to be happy to fund this disgusting practice to profit foreign businesses at the expense of their domestic food supply.
“For those anti slaughter, are you all vegetarians??? How is a horse going to slaughter any different and in humane then cattle and hogs going to slaughter to be butchered, packaged and sold in our stores?? I love my horses dearly and would probably consider them pets but still realize they are livestock. Slaughter houses are a necessary evil and if you don’t think so then why don’t you start feeding and caring for all the unwanted horses.”
– Why don’t you stop creating unwanted horses? I wish mandatory sterilization for morons was a `neccesary evil’ too….
“The whole med issue is overblown. They use the same wormers on cattle that they do on horses. Few horses being sent to slaughter were JUST wormed, and the drugs have left their system in a short time. Same with bute, despite all the hype. Someone would have to eat MASSIVE quantities of “tainted” meat before ever becoming sick.”
– Somebody needs to alert the EU and tell them `no big deal’ on all the recent discoveries of adulterated horse meat we have sent them from North America. This PSA says so!
I guess I’m going to have to go to the library and check out some Black Stallion books and maybe the Pony Club Manual so I can know as much as these brain surgeons. I, for sure, should look into self medication because I am getting sick and tired of reading and seeing all these same old tired lies being tossed around as a justification for their asshattery. Not only is it annoying, they regurgitate them with such conviction, people believe them. I am excessively busy and cranky this week. PSAs consider yourself forewarned. I’m truly done being nice.